2019-01-24

((OATH OF CREATION))
January Modelling Challenge: Centrepieces and Terrain

The Grey Tide Wanes! Completions Ahoy!

Here we are, almost a whole month into 2019.
These pieces are my entries for Azazelx's January Painting Challenge.
I am looking forward to participating in future events like this, and I've already found an old neglected model to finish up for February's challenge.

:: ANCIENT PRAEFEROX ::
One thing I didn't mention in the previous post featuring Praeferox is the magnetized weapon arm.

I've added a few other angles here, to show some more details of the model. I'm especially happy with how the drybrushing on the shoulders has left a few streaks and scratches, just the kind of thing that would turn up eventually on a well-used engine of war.

:: STC HELIOS-MINOR PATTERN TRANSPORT CONTAINERS ::
As none of you will know already, I am the proud owner of a relatively decent 3d printer.
One thing I had some fun with the last two years or so is designing modular terrain pieces for various uses. Here I have two crates that I just completed yesterday, one with an internal power generator of some sort.
When designing these, I came upon the issue of how to attach everything together. I'm using PLA filament, which in my experience does not bond well with the types of glue I own, so instead I had a go at using small sheet metal screws.
Perhaps a smarter designer than me could have hidden those, but I chose to embrace them as an added detail to cement the flat-pack-assembly idea of how I think of Imperial technology.
And besides - you have to admit, the Imperium would totally have giant screws and building-scale 3d printers in some corner of the galaxy.
As a bonus feature, the generator has a space in it for a little tea light that adds some flickering light to the coil running through the middle, to give the impression of a disused and dysfunctional power core that is perhaps not as stable as it once was.
The tubing in the middle is made from vinyl outdoor hose, and the parts are 3d printed in black to provide a good starting point for the painting. The entire model was painted using fairly heavy artist paint, starting with medium brown for a basecoat and stippling the main surfaces with rusty red-orange, then picking out some details in dark metallic grey.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work (again) on the Contemptor. Those containers are pretty bloody great as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will never not be impressed at how such simple techniques can still give great results.

      Delete