2019-08-10

+STRANGERS IN MIRRORS+THE GOD-KING'S HAND+
~ The Grey Exile ~ Face The Light And Walk Away ~

"A friend of yours passed this way some time back. Said he'd be where you won't find him..."~--



Grey Wizard Hiram Aesterthaal


Umbral Portals


--~"Something I've heard from the travellers come through here.
Nearer you get to the Whispering Fortress, the more you see Ulgu's influence on the land.
Far out from here, beyond Ashen Lock and Hewnmoor, I'll wager the world is a fair bit less dark."


++
++


((Several weeks ago, I decided to further distinguish the various posts for Strangers in Mirrors into chapters))
((Earlier this week I added the chapter titles into the older posts, and this is now the first new post after that point))
((I've also started trying to add custom permalinks to my future posts))
((The automatic ones tend to chop out the important bit of the title))
((I won't be updating the permalinks on older posts for fear of breaking links to them on other sites))

((I plan to make eight chapters, each one semi-themed on the mortal realms in Age of Sigmar, with 6 groups of models))
((Chapter 1: Borders of Hysh is rather unsurprisingly focused on Hysh, and its semi-fall to chaos))
((Chapter 2: The God-King's Hand is themed after Azyr, in the focus on Stormcast and Wizards))
((The next chapter will be based on Chamon, though in a less direct fashion than the first two))
((It's going to be focusing on the inhabitants of Mizpal City, the focal point of Strangers))
((Looking very much forward to the new season of Underworlds))
((Planning to get the Beastgrave starter to add to Strangers chapters 3 and 4))
((I am a big fan of beastmen of all shapes, and centaurs are also cool))
((There are not enough animal-based factions in warhammer))
((Warcry is great too, I'm definitely eventually adding some Crows in to my Tzeentch warband))
((Though I'm going to be delaying acquiring any of the kits until after buying a few other things))

((Ever since the Malign Sorcery expansion came out I've been wanting to scratch-build some endless spells))
((They're such a fun concept, with some very interesting models))
((At that point, I had already decided that Strangers would be based in the realms of Light and Shadow))
((And as such I thought quite a bit about how to construct my own versions of the spells associated with those realms))
((Namely, the Geminids of Ul-Gysh, Umbral Spellportals and Prismatic Palisade))
((The original plan was to build a pair of Geminids from some kind of spheres and tail-or-stand-shaped bits))
((Or perhaps 3d print a Palisade, which I may still end up doing at some point))
((But the first I managed to get to was the Spellportal, as seen here))
((They were very heavily inspired by a scenery piece I saw from @StuCunningham on twitter))

((The more I paint, the more confident I get experimenting with various textures and techniques))
((I've never really had the patience for edge highlighting; drybrushing and stippling have always been much more enjoyable))
((One apparently odd thing I do is using fairly hard oil painting brushes for drybrushing))
((Most people seem to say that softer is better, but I prefer the uneven and random look the harder brushes give))
((They are also what I used to get the streaked effect on the portals, in a similar way that I do power weapons))

((You know what, I'm throwing this one in for Azazelx's August painting challenge))
((Those portals were quite the design challenge to get right, and converted wizards are always awesome))
((The wizard is, by the way, based on the old Ironweld Gunmaster, which as of this week has just gone out of production))
((A real shame too, it's a nice model, but it hopefully means exciting things about new models coming for Cities of Sigmar))
((And I will personally take any excuse for them to replace finecast models))

((Current projects: Stormcast Eternals, Cultivar of Yroa HQs, Rogue Trader Nurgle Bugs, Ylthari's Guardians))

Parts list, Hiram:
-Ironweld Gunmaster Body
-Stormcast Eternal Helmet
-Freeguild Greatswords Arms and Banner Topper
-Scout Marine Sergeant Hand
-Empire Flagellants Book
-Farseer Base

Portals:
-Sprue Pieces (from the Sector Imperialis 40mm bases sprue)
-1mm Styrene Sheet
-Renedra 20mm Paved Effect Bases (cut into individual stones)
-Steelheart's Champions Obryn Base
-Celestar Ballista Engineer Base

No comments:

Post a Comment