2019-07-08

((PAINTWATER ORACLE))
The Nature of the Warp

It is the nature of the Warp to lie.
It is the nature of the Warp to speak truth.


This week has been rather slow, and yet I can hardly remember what I've actually been doing.
So here's some work in progress things that have been sitting around.


A puritan Inquisitor, with a Rathere Large Sworde.
This also shows off an addition to my lighting setup that I've been testing.
I picked up a small self-standing work light to bring in some light to the under-layers that were usually a bit dark.
Here it is with the light off:
The cape portions underneath the right arm show up much better with the extra light.
However, the darker setup can still work for adding to the atmosphere.


Next, two variants of truescale space marines, using different sets of starting pieces:
First, a Grey Knight, one of five I have been building slowly over the past few months.
These are heavily based on the grey knight terminators kit, with a few small changes.
The head is from the mkIII space marine kit, inspired by a line I saw on a wiki somewhere about aegis power armour's helmets being inspired by or based on the mkIII ones. The psychic hood on the armour was shaved down slightly to allow for the fit.
The backpack is fairly simple, using the teleport packs from the grey knights squad, with the antennae cut off.
The large vent on the back of the terminator armour was filed down to accomodate the new backpack.
The strangest part is the neck, which actually comes from the round pips on the bottom of a 40mm base.
Second, a marine in more normal-styled power armour, loosely based on mkVII-VIII armour.
The legs are from the grey knight terminators, with the big nub cut off and attached to a primaris marine body.
The arms also come from primaris kits, but I don't remember which ones, since they came from a bitz store.
The other parts are from various other kits, mostly things like vanguard/sternguard veterans and deathwatch.


I also have this other idea:
This model is much less developed, but the idea is some kind of imperial pilot or captain of a spaceship.
It came from me noticing I had some spare sitting legs (from the taurox) with no chair attached, and wondering if it would fit one of the chairs from the terrain in the rogue trader box.
The arms are a bit of improvisation, from the drukhari wracks kit, and the angles are a bit odd.
Unfortunately, the legs are way too short for the chair, so I stuck on a piece of plastruct c-bar thing.


And finally, an update on my Ian Miller Challenge entry.
I have tried to add a few more models in, including this winged figure in some kind of power armour.
Unfortunately, while I was setting up for the photo:
I dropped it...
And one of the wings broke off.
That really killed my already dwindling enthusiasm about this particular model.
It was originally going to be something entirely unrelated, but I spotted the wings in this Miller piece and was instantly reminded of the stormcast flying units, which I happened to have exactly one of.
Aren't bitz websites neat?

I painted this model first, as a semi-test piece for the colours I wanted to use, as it was the one I was least happy with.
While the green and blue came out very well, I feel like the grey stone base is just too flat.
I am currently debating whether I want to include this in the challenge entry or just keep it as a test and move on.
I still have the original two potch lane poxwalkers, as well as a tree with a pet fish, so I think those should suffice.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch on those wings! Fixed with a bit of plastic cement now, I hope?
    The builds in progress look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I have unfortunately not had a chance to fix up the wing yet, I've been working on other models and kind of just don't want to look at it yet.
      That model was originally supposed to be just a paint scheme test, and at this point it might just stay that way. I slightly changed the recipe for the grey bits, they end up darker in the end, so this one wouldn't match well without a repaint of the base.

      Delete