2019-06-17

((OATH OF CREATION))
A Strange Place: 28mag Ian Miller Challenge

"I'm not sure I understood what they meant by that..."



So it looks like I've decided to join in the Ian Miller Challenge being run by 28 Magazine this/next month. Neat.
One thing I enjoy (well, in theory at least) is trying to create a model based solely on a specific piece of artwork.
Now, while I was not all that familiar with Miller's work by name, I found an interesting connection
after some time browsing his online portfolio and staring at my bitz box:

Potch Lane
Image source: https://nouvelleartsite.wordpress.com/2016/09/25/an-exhibition-of-art-by-ian-miller/
see also Miller's portfolio page: http://www.ian-miller.org/potch-lane/
detail secton: http://www.ian-miller.org/potch-lane-section/
While seemingly not related to the Warhammer settings, these rather shambling and ruptured looking folks here reminded me quite a bit of some spare Poxwalkers I have had lying around since I completed this batch here. I figured at this point I was probably not going to bother reposing or tweaking these last few to make them not be the same as their clones, I decided to put them to use.
Here is the beginnings of two models, based on the two figures on the right:

I have designs to make more than just these, perhaps a scenery piece, but I'm not quite sure yet.
The tree in the preview image is unfortunately tied to a project already, but some of the branches from that kit will no doubt make their way in here somehow. For the first, I may end up shaving down the head-box to more closely match the artwork in size, and for the second I will be replacing the legs. I'm also not sure about the head on number two, but the hat is a perfect fit so I'm inclined to keep it.

While I won't be doing a straight 3d interpretation of the image, I am using it and its sequel as a jumping off point, and the major reference for the colours. The places where I diverge will likely be leaning more towards 40k-ification, adding some extra tech details and such.
I look forward to trying out the pink-blue scheme, should be a big departure from usual.

For anyone curious, the body on the second one is from the Taurox driver, and the foreground arm is assembled from the cadian command power fist and some trimmed part off a poxwalker.
The head for the first one is part of a Tau crisis suit gun, probably fusion rifle but I can't remember which is which right now.

All of a sudden I've realized there seems to be some dust on my camera's lens.
Oh dear. Must remember to clean that.

No comments:

Post a Comment