2019-09-16

+CHILDREN OF THE OUTCAST+
:: Verse I, Line I :: Rebellion ::

+We give no blade to those who hunt+




"It started as a whisper. As a quiet discontent."




"The muttering of a neighbor or a friend."



"It started with arrests, punishment, action and reaction, with riots and murder."



"It started with fire and rifles and knives and that accursed black and white."



"Sable and Argent. Sable and Argent. Robes and tatters, uniforms, armour..."



"Like the whole planet had gone mad."


++
++


((Starting something new!))
((Well, by "starting" I mean I had some things painted in late 2018 and finally decided to start working on the rest))
((I'm shooting for this to be similar to Hydra's Heads, with an overall narrative arc relayed in short comments))
((I have 12 posts planned for the series, put into two sets of 5 with a group shot at the end of each))
((I will be trying to get the first 6 in relatively successive order, with a break in between to wait for new model releases))
((I have a handful of things that I haven't bought yet, and one thing that is still in planning))

((For those who don't fall deep into wiki holes every few months, here's the wh40k fandom wiki page for Malice))
((This warband is based mostly on that, plus the Sons of Malice renegade marines))
((And this warband from Jake at Ex Profundis))
((The theme of it really drew me in, the silent, unending hunt and all that))
((After a bit of research I ended up thinking about how the themes of Malice/Malal might play out in 40k))
((While the origin of Malal may have been before my time, that doesn't mean I can't join in the fun))
((I also spent a bit of time looking at tactics for various armies, to see what might match my ideas))
((Some things that appealed to me: anti-psykers, stormtroopers, old-style horned helmets, skulls and ribcages))
((I loosely based my initial conversions off the Sisters of Battle rules, which will be seen better in the next post))
((Over time I did drift further from rules-analogue and more towards just the concept itself))
((These cultists are one of the later additions to the warband, despite being the second unit I painted))
((I bought two boxes, mostly just out of interest and since they were quite cheap))
((Since then I have used up nearly all of both, these being one box assembled as-is))
((Plus one kitbash for the leader))

((One thing that was more inherited from the 40k side was the colour scheme))
((I really leaned into the ramshackle rebellion look of the models))
((Everything is weathered and beat-up, the fabric looks like it may well have been hand-dyed or bleached))
((Every one has the colours in a different place, but the black and white is always in common))
((Quarterly Sable and Argent, as it would be in heraldic terminology))
((The colours of the Sons of Malice provided an excellent starting point, with a few tweaks my own))
((Such as the deep red leather, accents of coppery bronze, and the bright yellow lenses))
((My original paint tests - which will be showing up later in line - had slightly brighter red leather))
((Personally, I prefer the darker, muddier look on the newer ones, and this is the scheme I have gone with moving forward))

((There's also a smidge of terrain along with them, specifically the Ryza-pattern ruins))
((I bought the Theta-7 Acquisitus kill team a while back to get some Sicarians, and it came with the ruins as an extra))
((And while thinking about what I might be able to do to spice up the presentation of these guys I decided to throw those in))
((One thing I'm thinking about is using the copper accent colour for all the mechanical parts on any more pieces))
((There are a few parts that are dark metal on this piece, and I'm not sure how well they stand out))

((The printed board they're on is from the Kill Team: Rogue Trader expansion, specifically the shrine side))
((After all, skulls are never out of fashion in the grim darkness of the far future))
((It's too bad the skull was in one of the parts that couldn't be unfolded))

((And lastly, since there's more than three, the cultists fit into Azazel's September Challenge))
((And the ruins in the back count too, bonus))
((Full disclosure: only the cultist leader was actually painted this month, the rest are from about 2018))

Parts list, Cultist Leader:
-Chaos Cultist Torso and Upper Arm and Pistol Hand
-Space Marine Scout Legs
-Tempestus Scions Arm and Grenades
-Chaos Warrior Head
-Atalan Jackals Handlebar Hand
-Sternguard Veterans Chainsword

2 comments:

  1. Ah, interesting - I remember Malal well, along with Kaleb Daark in the comics printed in the earlier GW mags. Good to see them still taken up by hobbyists so many years later! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I feel like there used to be a big gap in unaligned/smaller-gods-and-such chaos for a while, at least up until blackstone fortress and warcry came out and provided a whole bunch more variety for cults of every kind. If only there was a bit more of that attention to the weird corners of factions in 40k proper - fingers crossed for the new releases, though.

      Delete