2019-11-23

+STRANGERS IN MIRRORS+FOREST AND FORTRESS+
~ The Sallow Guardians ~ Hear The Call Of The Unburdened ~

"Not many trees near the city. The few wooded places don't take kindly to strangers..."~--




Sallow Margosia, The Grove's Envoy


Reinius, Blade of Morning


Thorelius, Shield of Evening


Aurita, Arrow of Midnight


--~"Ever been to the grove off northwest, just past the Whispering Fortress?
Legend has it the trees go deeper than the place would fit,
stretching out impossible twisted paths to Sigmar-Knows-Where."


++
++


~ Excerpt from Mizpal Botanica, Third Edition, Volume 1: Common Plants ~



Silverbark Tree

Large deciduous trees found in the Grove of the Unburdened.
Named for the forest spirits that are said in legends to protect the Grove.


++
++


((As I mentioned in an earlier post, we're heading into the woods to start off chapter 3 of Strangers in Mirrors))
((The warband itself was painted some months ago, when I originally got the models))
((I think I was at a point where I wanted a break from painting big armoured soldiers))
((Which was not helped by the current project for AoS being some stormcast))
((So they've sat around for a while as I caught up on the intervening stuff))
((This is one of the detriments of having a thorough plan in mind))
((I tend to get sidetracked in ways that don't fit very well with the plan))

((Having recently returned to this paint scheme for my Beastgrave Kurnothi, I can say how much I liked painting these))
((The wood lends itself very well to drybrushing and stippling))
((And I did some experimentation with washes and new colours for these too))
((Sybarite Green, Athonian Camoshade and Nihilakh Oxide go very well together))
((Druchii Violet has the fun property of being able to turn any beige colour into a very nice woody brown))
((And I am very happy with the green tint on the metallic weapons, too))
((The only thing I probably could add to is the hair))
((The particular white paint I used was not particularly good on these, the lid is broken and won't fully close))
((I have since changed the recipe to use a different white paint, which will be seen on the Kurnothi coming up soon))
((And that worked a lot better))
((I may also have not used enough paint on these ones, there are some spots that don't seem to be white at all))
((One thing I also noticed is that after all the other layers, Vallejo Charred Brown looks almost identical to Rhinox Hide))
((It's still a little bit brighter, but that honestly hardly shows up in the photos))

((The tree is a much more recent addition, finished just at the start of this week))
((I had originally planned to paint it with a much more grey hue to the bark, hence the name))
((But I also wanted it to match with the existing Sylvaneth models))
((So when I saw the result, something decidedly not silver, I thought:))
(("Silver sounds kind of like Sylvan, right? That's the reason for the name now."))
((I imagine it to be a case of linguistic change over time, like how many orange animals are still called red))
((And people with "red" hair, too))
((It's also been labelled as Deciduous because I really don't like the odd flat leaves from the Citadel Woods kit))
((And maybe that doesn't make a whole lot of sense based on some other lore bits I've been thinking up))
((But do I look like I care about minute internal consistencies?))
((The main goal is to have fun, and I certainly did))

((Current Projects: Children of the Outcast, Corvus Cabal, 40k Slaanesh Cult))

No comments:

Post a Comment